Thursday 25 February 2016

He Gave me a Smile and Finally Asked My Mother



Bring betal leaves worth rupees 100, I shall do sukhmani operation tomorrow. Guruji  told my mother before giving us leave for the day. I had heard that Guruji cured people by placing betel leaves over the affected area. I had also seen a spoon next to his aasan (chair) which he used to carry into the room known as the OPD room.

This is scary business I told my mother that there was that OPD and do some kind of an unconventional operation. The next day I very hesitatingly went back to him and the first thing he asked my mother was about the betel leaves. All day I tried to get a glimpse of the room everyone called the OPD.


The door always remained shut and my imagination ran wild. Does he actually cut open people inside that room? What does he do with the spoon; scoop things out? The thought was enough to make me panic and sweat. All this while Guruji was reading my thoughts and having a laugh at my expense.


He gave me a smile and finally asked my mother to hand him the betel leaves. He held them and said some prayer and handed them back to her saying put these on Sukhmani stomach for an hour when you go home and after an hour, dispose them in flowing water or bury them in a clean area. I took a breath  of relief. We went back home and did as we were told and I instantly felt an improvement in my health.

Apni beti mainu de de  Give your daughter to me.Guruji told my mother one day. I was shocked to hear this and I actually thought my mother may just give me away to him. I imagined cleaning, sweeping, mopping and cooking in his temple for the rest of my life. At that time the very thought seemed depressing Guruji, meri dono betiyan main aap ko deti hoon Guruji both my daughters, I give to you. Said my mother. I looked at Guruji hoping he did not mean what I was thinking.He laughed at my foolish thoughts an Dono meriyan khaas betiyan han They are both my special daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment